Thursday, August 19, 2010

Louis Kahn: 
I once gave myself an assignment: to draw a picture that demonstrates light. Now if you give yourself such an assignment the first thing you do is escape somewhere, because it is impossible to do.  You say that a white piece of paper is the illustration; what else to do? But when I put a stroke of ink on the paper, I realized that the black and white was where the light was not, and then I could really make a drawing, because I could be discerning where I put the black. 

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if I totally grasp what Louie is sayin'... your photo, on the other hand, is both succinct and articulate... I'm reminded of a favorite couplet from a song ( In the Gallery ) on the first Dire Straits recording....

    " and then then you get an artist... who says he doesn't want to paint at all... takes an empty canvass... and sticks it on the wall... " Mark Knopfler

    ReplyDelete